Full-stack developer proficient in Clojure and ClojureScript. Mostly, I am a technologist who enjoys the process of building something with a real-world use case.
I began my career at a fluids' simulation lab, where I published a novel algorithm for forest fire simulation, optimized for GPUs. In 2013, I joined the booming Lisbon startup scene and moved to London in 2015. I have hacked code for client demos and been a developer advocate for early stage startups but also enjoyed working on well financed greenfield re-architectures. I believe people solve problems not tools, so I always look for the most effective solution. I tend to prioritize languages over frameworks, and I can write infrastructure as code when necessary.
Codecadre LTD and pro bono work:
I set up Codecadre LTD for my contracting work in 2019. Besides software contracting, I am available to work with NGOs and offer free mentoring for people from a low-income background.
If you want to get in touch please email me at mail [at] flaviosousa [dot] co.
You can check my cv here for work experience, conferences, training and awards. This is a list of other things that couldn't fit the CV.
- Afinar - unobtuse Clojure macros for perfomance testing with dependency context (2023, WIP)
- I maintain a public data set with driving school pass rates and locations (2022 - present)
- An NGINX (OpenResty) development environment for Lua scripting (2017)
- Open driving license pass rates, [webapp, blog post, youtube talk] (2016 - present)
- Game development prototyping in C++ and Construct for what would latter become a children's educational game: Zuper in Space, 2010
Computational Fluid Dynamics and Numerical Simulation
- Embers: Stochastic Forest Fire simulation [Github] (2014, no longer maintained)
- Fluid Simulation Lab Youtube channel [blog post, Youtube channel] (2012)
- HighSpeed train CFD Simulation [blog post, youtube video] (March 2012)
- GPU based forest fire simulation and algorithm optimization [Github, Demo, white paper] (2010-2012)
Organizations I belonged to
- Lasef - Fluid and Energy simulation lab (January 2010 - November 2012)
- Great Debators Club, London 2020
- Hack for Good, Lisbon 2014 (co-organiser)
- Geo Camp, 2014 Caldas da Rainha (Speaker)
- Pixels Camp, Lisbon 2016 (Speaker)
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Blue Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, 2013
- Southeast Open, Jan 2018
- Brighton BJJ 24-7 Winter Open 2018: 2nd place
- Grappling Industries LONDON: March 14, 2020
3 books, 3 songs, 3 films
- Godel Escher Bach, Douglas Hofstadter
- Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, Carl Sagan
- 1984, George Orwell
- Echoes, Pink Floyd
- Schism, Tool
- 50 Million Year Trip, Kyuss
- The Matrix, The Wachowskis
- Memento, Christopher Nolan
- Fight Club, David Fincher